What does it mean to be sex positive?
It is a term that has been buzzing around for a bit. Sex positivity is about having and embracing a comprehensive understanding of human sexuality. This includes consent, practicing safer sex, getting tested, and not judging oneself or others for what they may be into or their past experiences.
How powerful it can be when popular musicians release songs that have to do with sexuality. Such a relatable topic, yet sometimes it is musicians who get the ball rolling for people to learn and have more conversations about it. Music like this can be comforting, inspirational, and can even strike social justice movements.
Here is a list – just a taste – of some songs that relate to a more positive mindset of sexuality. Enjoy.
1. Garbage, Sex is Not the Enemy. “The institution curses curiosity”
2. Garbage, Androgyny. “Boys in the girls room, girls in the mens room”
3. Britney Spears, Touch of My Hand. “I’m not afraid of the things that I dream”
4. Britney Spears, Get Naked (I Got a Plan). “As long as you want it, come with me, we can do it baby, baby, baby”
5. Demi Lovato, Confident. “What’s wrong with being confident?”
6. Demi Lovato, Cool for the Summer. “Don’t be scared ‘cause I’m your body type”
7. Prince and The Revolution, Kiss.
8. Justin Timberlake, FutureSex LoveSound. “Do you like it like this? Do you like it like that?”
9. Boy George, Same Thing in Reverse. “It’s the same thing in reverse. Nothing better, nothing worse”
10. Lady Gaga, Born This Way.
11. Michael Jackson, Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough.
12. Tweet, (Oops) Oh My. “Ooh, I’m turning red, who could this be?”
13. Christina Aguilera, Sex for Breakfast.
14. Paula Cole, Feelin’ Love. “You make me feel like the Amazon’s running between my thighs”
15. Jason Derulo, Talk Dirty.
16. Janet Jackson, If. “And you don’t know that I’ve been dreaming of you in my fantasy”
17. LMFAO, Sexy and I Know It.
18. Bloodhound Gang, The Bad Touch. “You and me baby ‘aint nothing but mammals”
19. Elvis Presley, Fever.
20. Benny Benassi, Satisfaction.